Search This Blog

Subscribe to Let's Talk Business!

Friday, July 18, 2008

I was offended

I’m not easily offended, so it’s a bit of a shock when someone actually offends me. Listen to this.

I was at a business event where I sat in stunned silence as a tablemate explained how, after living in Hawaii for 16 years, couldn’t find anyone smart enough to talk too outside of these types of business events. As if that wasn’t enough, I had to listen to how her life revolved around her Ivy League alumni groups (apparently no one else is worthy), and how her only chance of finding a husband was through those same groups.

Now I don’t care where anyone went to school or whether they’re a bit snooty about that, I just find that sad and ignorant. I’ve met far too many people in this world to know that where you went to school is meaningless. I’ve met absolutely brilliant people who attended no-name schools, and people who’ve attended the “best” schools who couldn’t think their way out of a paper bag. And some of the smartest people I’ve met never even went to college.

But the thing that really offended me was the comment, and the implication behind it, about not finding anyone smart enough in Hawaii worth talking too. I have met, and I continue to meet, many people who are not only intelligent, but completely fascinating and a joy to talk to. I think that all my friends are smarter than me, because I’m constantly learning things from them. One of the reasons for that is that everyone has different interests. I may not be interested in something in detail, but I’m almost always interested at a basic level and I love to learn new things. There’s nothing better than eating, drinking, and having conversation with fascinating people.

Another thing is that with the wide diversity of cultures and ethnicities here in Hawaii, I don’t see how it’s possible to not meet people worth talking to and getting to know. Having grown up in small, all-white, communities in New Jersey, I’m interested in “local’s” views of the world (“local” being a catch-all term meaning anyone who grew up in Hawaii). We have different perspectives because we have different upbringings and different world experiences. How can you not want to talk to people with different views from yours? And then there are all the people here who are from other countries. How can you not want to talk to people who grew up in another country, in another culture, to get their point of view on things?

I was offended, but I’m more saddened that there are still people in the world who keep their heads in the sand. I can’t wait to meet someone new and strike up a conversation. I hope you do the same.

2 comments:

MySpace Design said...

Very insightful post. I just stumbled upon your blog and read some of your post. Really nice blog you got here.

Anonymous said...

well anyone in your position could be offended.